Understanding How to Avoid Home Electrical Fires
WSVN 7 News recently reported that a Miami family, including a former firefighter, has been displaced after an electrical fire broke out in their home. The family’s home had reportedly been affected by a power outage in the area because of recent heavy storms before a family member smelled smoke shortly after the power was restored. When she went to investigate where the smell was coming from she found their garage engulfed in flames. Sadly, the damages incurred to the family’s home will not be covered by insurance due to the family dropping their homeowners policy a few years ago once the house was paid off.
What Causes Home Electrical Fires to Occur?
According to the National Fire Protection Association’s Home Electrical Fires Fact Sheet issued this past March, unattended equipment and electrical failures/malfunctions were, respectively, the first and second leading causes of U.S. home fires between 2012 and 2016.
Additionally, electrical distribution and lighting equipment was the third leading form of equipment involved in fires in U.S. homes during this time. It accounted for ten percent of fires, most of which originated in a bedroom, attic or ceiling, or a wall assembly or concealed space. Further, these statistics indicate that the most dangerous electrical fires occur at night as only about 25 percent of these fires occurred between midnight and 8 a.m., but these fires accounted for a whopping 60 percent of deaths.
How Can Electrical Fires Be Avoided?
- Ensure that you have all electrical work done by qualified electricians.
- Always have homes that you are considering purchasing inspected by a qualified professional before you commit.
- Make sure that you only use one heat-producing appliance in a single outlet at a time.
- Instead of plugging major appliances into extension cords or strips, plug them directly into wall outlets.
- Use ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in kitchens, bathrooms, and outdoor areas to reduce shock risk. Additionally, use arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) for additional outlet protection and make sure that you test both monthly.
- Avoid running electrical cords across doorways or under carpets. Instead, hire a qualified electrician to add more outlets if you find you need to use extension cords on more than a temporary basis.
- Pay attention to the stickers on lighting devices and do not use bulbs above the maximum recommended wattage.
Have You Or a Loved One Been Injured in an Electrical Fire?
If someone else’s negligence led to an electrical fire that harmed you or a loved one, we can help. Whether the responsible party is a landlord, builder, electrician, or someone else, you do not have to struggle to figure out your next steps alone. We understand how difficult the impact of losing a home can be for both you and your family, and we can offer the legal help you need while you focus on recovering. Contact the experienced Miami personal injury attorneys of The Pendas Law Firm today and we will help you recover the compensation you are entitled to.
The Pendas Law Firm also represents clients in the Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, West Palm Beach and Bradenton areas.