Melbourne Personal Injury Lawyer
People get hurt everyday in Florida for a variety of reasons. Some injuries are truly nobody’s fault. But in many cases, an injury is the direct result of another person’s reckless or negligent conduct. When it comes to such injuries, the victim has a legal right to compensation for all of their financial losses arising from the accident.
A qualified Melbourne personal injury lawyer can assist you in seeking such compensation. The Pendas Law Firm represents clients through Brevard County who have been injured through the fault of others and are now struggling to deal with the aftermath of an accident. If you are looking to recover damages for your medical bills, lost wages, and your ongoing pain and suffering, we can help.
- Airplane Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Insurance Claims
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Personal Injury Protection
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Sinkhole Damage
- Slip & Fall
- Truck Accidents
- Uninsured & Underinsured Accidents
- Workers’ Compensation
- Wrongful Death
What Compensation Can I Expect in a Florida Personal Injury Case?
Personal injury claims are generally based in negligence. That is to say, you do not need to prove that the defendant intended to injure you. Rather, it is only necessary to prove they acted in a manner that violated some legal duty of care owed to you.
For example, if you are driving your car down the highway, there is an expectation that the other drivers will obey the rules of the road and exercise reasonable care in safely operating their own vehicles. If a reckless driver is speeding and ends up colliding with your vehicle, that is an act of negligence–and you are entitled to sue that driver for any legal damages you sustain as a result of the collision.
Florida law divides damages into three categories:
- Economic damages are meant to compensate you for out-of-pocket losses that are readily quantified in terms of dollars. This includes items like your past medical bills, estimated future medical and rehabilitation costs, lost income due to time missed from work, and reduction in your future earning potential.
- Non-economic damages cover losses that are difficult to precisely measure yet still exist. These damages are often referred to as “pain and suffering.” Florida law does not impose any cap or restriction on the award of non-economic damages.
- Punitive damages are available in exceptional cases where a defendant’s actions go beyond simple negligence and involve either an intentional act or gross negligence. Such damages are capped in Florida to the greater of $500,000 or three times the amount of compensatory (economic and non-economic damages) awarded in a case.
Our experienced Melbourne personal injury lawyers can review your case and advise you on the potential award of damages you might reasonably expect to receive. Keep in mind, most personal injury claims are resolved out of court. But by working with a skilled attorney, your chances of obtaining a more favorable settlement are significantly higher than if you simply accept the first offer made by a defendant or insurance company.
Contact The Pendas Law Firm Today
An accident caused by negligence often leaves victims struggling financially as well as physically and emotionally. The Pendas Law Firm can help take some of the burden off of you when it comes to dealing with a potential personal injury claim. Contact our Melbourne personal injury lawyers today to schedule an initial consultation.