Switch to ADA Accessible Theme Close Menu


A constant source of help for your family in times of need, we’re available 24/7 in person, by phone and video conference. Call us anytime for an always free consultation.

Free Initial Consultation
protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms

The Dangers of Dump Trucks


Dump trucks are typically used to carry loose construction material (like sand, gravel and waste) from one location to another. But while they play a critical role in the construction industry, dump trucks pose unique dangers to other drivers on the road. For example, dump trucks are heavy vehicles that are difficult to maneuver and have trouble coming to a sudden stop. So if a car changes lanes directly in front of a dump truck, or if the truck driver takes his eyes off the road and notices stopped traffic or another road obstruction at the last second, it’s likely he won’t be able to avoid an accident.

Dump truck drivers also have an incentive to get to their destinations quickly (which could mean speeding or violating other traffic laws) because they are usually paid by the load, not by the hour. Many drivers operate their vehicles safely, but not all. In fact, Florida authorities have blamed dump trucks for several recent automobile accidents:

  • On May 11, 2017, four people were injured in a multi-vehicle accident caused by a dump truck in Immokalee. The truck rear-ended a Hyundai Sonata, pushing it into a light pole. The truck then hit a Toyota Sienna, causing it to hit a third car (a Kia Optima). The dump truck then overturned, spilling construction debris on the road.
  • In January 2017, one person was killed and another injured at an intersection in North Fort Myers when a driver turned right onto State Road 31 and was hit by a dump truck.
  • In December 2016, a dump truck and Honda Pilot collided in South Fort Myers, killing one person. The Honda was trying to make a left-hand turn when the truck ran into it.
  • In September 2016, a Florida Gulf Coast University student was killed when a dump truck rear-ended his Nissan while stopped at a red light in South Fort Myers.

According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, in 2016 there were more than 40,000 accidents involving commercial vehicles (commercial vehicles include dump trucks). As of May 17, 2017, there have been more than 15,000 commercial vehicle crashes this calendar year. In Lee County specifically, there were almost 2,000 commercial vehicle crashes in 2016, and there have been more than 500 so far this year.

Comparative Negligence Standard for Determining Damage Amount

Florida operates under a comparative negligence standard, which means that you can only recover damages to the extent that you didn’t contribute to the accident. In the case of an accident involving a dump truck, if a jury determines that the truck driver was 75 percent at fault and the other driver 25 percent at fault, the other driver may recover 75 percent of his damages (such as medical bills and lost earnings).

Contact Us Today

If you or a loved one was injured (or killed) in a car accident involving a dump truck, contact a Fort Myers personal injury attorney at The Pendas Law Firm today for a free consultation. We can help ensure you that receive the compensation you deserve.

The Pendas Law Firm also represents clients in the Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Daytona and Bradenton areas.








Read What Others Have To Say About Us

  • “I'm very happy with this firm... Joel is an excellent attorney and Carolyn is an amazing paralegal, After been ditched from another law firm, Pendas took care of me and they won my case. I recommend them 100%...” - Jacksonville -

    Maria Pastor
  • “This law firm is amazing. I love how they always try to stay/keep in contact with you. It shows that they really care and want everything taken care of correctly, Thank You!...” - Orlando -

    Shantelle Blackwell
  • “I'm very thankful for all the attention of all the Pendas staff that took care of my case and helped me through the process, thanks for your patience, collaboration and comprehension!...” - Tampa -

    Carlos Guadalupe
  • “The Pendas Law Firm was amazing! They are very kind, professional, and hard-working! They always kept me informed. Larry Trias was great to work with! I always recommend Pendas to family and friends. Thank you for helping me with my case!” - Fort Myers -

    Heather Pepper
  • “Their attorneys are absolutely someone you want handling your car accident claim. They communicated with us promptly and thoroughly. I was very happy with our recovery. Their staff speaks Spanish and you feel like family.” - Orlando -

    Ian Brito
  • “I would definitely recommend this firm. The staff really helps you and they actually show you that they care, especially Siomara Roldan. She has been a great help for my family and myself, she is always helpful with any questions.” - Tampa -

    Wilmer D Santana Rodriguez
  • “5 stars for these guys! Hays Mathis got my case settled without going to court for a sum that dwarfed what the other guys were advising me to take. I highly recommend Hays not only because he does the work to get it done but he cares about the client and outcome as well!” - Jacksonville -

    Mike Reilly
  • “Pendas is the best! The paralegals are very attentive to your case, knowledgeable, and communicative! The attorney also won’t just be there the day of your sign up, but all throughout the process as needed. I truly recommend Pendas!” - Orlando -

    Ben Fitzgerald