So You Were Just in a Car Accident. Now What?
Every driver’s worst nightmare is a car accident – and one that many drivers here in the Sunshine State eventually experience. According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, there were almost 400,000 car accidents here in the State of Florida in 2018 alone. Fortunately, many of these accidents involve only property damage to the vehicle(s) as opposed to the occupants. However, it is equally important to understand that even a minor car accident can have long-lasting physical, emotional, and financial implications.
Additionally, there are steps you should take to ensure that you have any information you may need for future lawsuits or insurance claims whether you are involved in a minor fender bender or a crash that will alter your life forever. The following is a list of the things you should do if you are in an automobile accident.
What Should You Do if You Experience a Car Accident?
- Call 9-1-1 and do not admit fault. Keep in mind that at the scene of the accident, you probably won’t be thinking clearly and it can be easy to mix up facts and implicate yourself in something you didn’t actually do.
- Don’t leave the scene. Never drive away from the scene of an accident, even a minor one. In addition to the fact that doing so is illegal, it also lessens your credibility for any claim you later file.
- Record the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses. Write yourself a small note with details such as what the person is wearing and what he or she witnessed to help you jog your memory later.
- Photograph the scene of the accident and the surrounding area. Almost everyone has a smart phone these days. Use yours to take pictures of the scene of the accident including impacted guard rails, tread marks, and any places where you see paint from the vehicles or parts that fell off.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. While you can pursue a claim on your own, you should understand the chances of obtaining the compensation that you deserve are always better when you have an experienced legal team on your side. Additionally, attorneys can advise you on options you may not know you have – did you know you may have legal options even if your car is the only one involved?
Have You or a Loved One Been Injured in a Car Accident?
Life after a car accident can be hard. You probably have physical and mental residuals of what you have experienced that affect not only you, but your family members. Fortunately, you can reduce the impact that the wreck will have on your future after being injured in the Sunshine State by hiring an experienced Florida attorney who will work hard to protect your rights and pursue the compensation you deserve. As the experienced Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorneys of the Pendas Law Firm, we have helped many people in similar circumstances and we have the experience that you need to help you recover the compensation you are entitled to. Contact us today to begin.
The Pendas Law Firm also represents clients in the Orlando, Ocala, Tampa, Bradenton, Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, Miami, Fort Myers and Daytona Beach areas.