What Should I Do After a Florida Car Accident?
Florida drivers have been deemed to be some of the worst in the country. For this reason, it may not be surprising that several hundred thousand car accidents occur in the Sunshine State on an annual basis. Whether an accident turns out to be mostly a nuisance or, in contrast, leads to devastating physical and financial consequences, they are something we all hope to avoid altogether as we migrate down the scenic roadways from one destination to another. But as we all know, accidents can’t be predicted. That means that anyone who is getting behind the wheel of a car should understand exactly what to do if they find themselves involved in a collision.
What Should I Do if I am Involved in a Car Accident?
At the scene of the accident:
- Do not admit fault
- Call 9-1-1 and report the accident
- Stay on the scene of the accident until authorities arrive
- Decline any cash settlement offers made at the scene
- Obtain needed emergency medical treatment from first responders
- Write down the name and contact information of any witnesses on the scene
- Use your smartphone to take pictures and record video of the location of the accident and surrounding area
After the accident:
- Write down your account of what happened. Record your recollection of the accident as soon as you get home while your memory of the details is fresh. Unfortunately, you are likely to end up forgetting important facts that could become critical if you wait to sort out your thoughts.
- Continue needed medical treatment. No matter how much better you think you may be, you should keep attending scheduled appointments and obtaining treatment until your medical providers explicitly tell you to stop.
- Keep up with your documentation. Make sure that you keep everything related to the accident – such as medical bills and records – in one central location that you can control access to.
Should I File a Personal Injury Claim After My Florida Car Accident?
Generally speaking, you should keep in mind that you are entitled to pursue benefits through the personal injury system any time you have suffered injuries at the hands of an at-fault driver who demonstrated negligence through behaviors such as:
- Driving while distracted
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to obey signals and signs
- Driving while under the influence
If you have any question about whether or not you may be entitled to file a personal injury claim, do not hesitate to pursue legal help.
Have You or a Loved One Been Injured in an Accident?
In the unfortunate event that you do get into a car crash, you deserve to have the help of a legal team that won’t hesitate to negotiate aggressively for a fair settlement and, if necessary, ensure you are also ready to go to court to get the remedy you deserve. As the skilled Jacksonville personal injury attorneys at The Pendas Law Firm, we are dedicated to helping injury victims and their families recover well-deserved compensation for their losses. You can depend on us to advocate for you and not back down in the face of challenges that arise. To learn more about how we can help you in the most effective way possible, contact us today for a free consultation.
The Pendas Law Firm also represents clients in the Orlando, Miami, Ocala, Bradenton, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Fort Myers, West Palm Beach and Daytona Beach areas.