Understanding Your Next Steps After a Car Accident
When you get in your car to drive to work, drop your child off at daycare, or rush to school for a class, you are probably not thinking about getting into an accident. But unfortunately, car accidents are a common occurrence here in the Sunshine State. And sadly, many of the almost 400,000 car accidents that occur every year in the State of Florida lead to serious injuries. Being injured in a car accident can lead to severe repercussions and is also more common than any of us would like to think. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are almost 40 million annual physician office visits for unintentional injuries like those incurred in car accidents.
And while it might be too soon yet to know exactly how a collision will affect your life in the immediate aftermath of one, this is one reason that everyone should understand the next steps to undertake after a car accident.
What Should You Do to Preserve Your Safety After a Car Accident?
- Remain calm. Remaining calm is the best way for you to keep an objective view of what is happening in your surroundings and, therefore, to help you remain safe in light of them.
- Stay in your car. Leave your car where it is unless doing so seems like it would be dangerous or if you are in the flow of traffic and could be hit again. Additionally, staying inside offers additional protection and will also help substantiate your assertions once the police arrive and are trying to determine exactly what happened.
What Should You Do to Preserve Your Rights After a Car Accident?
- Call 9-1-1 and do not admit fault. It is better to say too little than too much as it can be easy to mix up facts and implicate yourself in something you didn’t actually do at the scene of an accident.
- Don’t leave the scene. Even if you suspect an accident is minor, never drive away from the scene.
- Record the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses. Include notes to remind yourself of who the person is.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident and the surrounding area. Take pictures of the scene of the accident including impacted guard rails, tread marks, and any places where you see paint from the vehicles or parts that fell off.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. While you can pursue a claim on your own, you should understand the chances of obtaining the compensation that you deserve are always better when you have an experienced legal team on your side.
Have You or a Loved One Been Injured in a Car Accident?
As a firm that represents many injured car accident victims and their families here in the Sunshine State, we want to ensure that you understand that you deserve to learn about your legal rights to monetary compensation for medical expenses, lost earnings, and future care and treatment. The West Palm Beach personal injury attorneys at The Pendas Law Firm have helped many people in similar circumstances figure out how to proceed following a car accident and we offer the legal help you need to be successful with your claim. Contact us for help today.
The Pendas Law Firm also represents clients in the Orlando, Ocala, Tampa, Bradenton, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Fort Myers, Jacksonville and Daytona Beach areas.