Daytona Beach Slip & Fall Lawyer
Florida Premises Liability Lawyer Assisting with Slip & Fall Accidents in Daytona Beach
Slip and fall accidents can happen almost anywhere, and they can vary widely in terms of the severity of the accident. Sometimes slips and falls happen at restaurants or retail establishments, but they can also happen in the home of a friend or family member. In some slips and falls, a person will suffer only minor injuries that may not even require medical attention. In other cases, however, a slip and fall can cause severe and disabling injuries. If you or someone you love got hurt in a slip and fall accident, you should learn more about your options for filing a claim. An experienced Daytona Beach slip & fall lawyer can assist you.
What is a Slip & Fall Claim in Daytona Beach?
Slip and fall claims are one type of premises liability claim. Indeed, slips and falls are among the most common types of premises liability lawsuits. When a person slips, trips, and falls, the owner or person in control of the premises may be liable for that person’s injuries.
Getting the Facts About Slips and Falls in Daytona Beach
How often to slips and falls occur, and what types of injuries are most common in slip and fall accidents? The following are significant facts and figures concerning slips and falls from the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI):
- More women than men experience slip and fall accidents, but these accidents cause about an equal number of fatal injuries in men and women;
- Men sustain more deadly slip and fall injuries at work than women;
- Slips and falls result in approximately 1 million visits to emergency departments every year;
- Injuries in slip and fall accidents account for about 12 percent of all fall-related accidents;
- Most common injuries in slips and falls are fractures;
- Hip fractures are the most common type of fracture injury in a slip and fall accident;
- Flooring materials and hazards on floors lead to more than 2 million slips and falls every year;
- About one-third of all people in the U.S. who are over the age of 65 will sustain injuries in a fall-related accident;
- Falls are the second-leading cause of death for older adults between the ages of 65-84, and they are the leading cause of death for people over the age of 84.
Slips & Falls at Daytona Beach Businesses
It is important to know that injured plaintiffs have a particular burden of proof in slip and fall cases that occurred as a result of a foreign substance (like a liquid spill) in a business establishment. Under Florida law (Fla. Stat. § 768.0755), a plaintiff either needs to show that the business had actual knowledge or constructive knowledge of the foreign substance and failed to remedy it.
A plaintiff can prove that a business had constructive knowledge either if the substance was there for such a long time that it should have been discovered, or if the situation was foreseeable to the business because it happened with regularity.
Contact a Slip & Fall Lawyer in Daytona Beach
Were you injured in a slip and fall accident, or did someone you love suffer injuries in a slip and fall? You should discuss your case with a Daytona Beach slip & fall lawyer as soon as possible to learn more about your options for seeking financial compensation. Contact The Pendas Law Firm to speak with an advocate today.