Daytona Beach Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicycle Accident Attorney Representing Injured Plaintiffs in Daytona Beach, Florida
Bicycle accidents can happen almost anywhere in Daytona Beach, from busy streets around the beaches and highways to neighborhood roads and driveways. Many bicycle accidents happen because a motor vehicle driver did not see the cyclist approaching, or because the cyclist failed to properly signal his or her plans on the roadway. While cyclists who are sharing the road with cars need to abide by traffic rules and regulations, it is also important for cyclists to know that motor vehicle drivers owe them a duty of care. This means that motor vehicle drivers need to be aware of cyclists and cannot behave in careless ways that put the safety and well-being of cyclists at risk.
Were you recently injured in a bicycle accident in Florida? A dedicated Daytona Beach bicycle accident lawyer can analyze the facts of your case and can discuss your options for moving forward with a claim for financial compensation.
Getting the Facts About Daytona Beach Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents happen in Florida more often than you might think, and most of these accidents are preventable. The following are statistics about bicycle accidents from the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center:
- Nearly 800 bicycle accident fatalities occurred in 2017 as a result of collisions with motor vehicles;
- More than 18 percent of all traffic fatalities involve cyclists or pedestrians;
- Both bicycle and pedestrian accident fatalities have risen sharply in recent years, with a 32 percent rise in deadly collisions between 2008 and 2017 (while the total rate of motor vehicle crashes actually declined slightly);
- Majority (58 percent) of bicycle accident fatalities occur at non-intersections;
- About 45 percent of all bicycle accident injuries and deaths occur in accidents that happen after dark; and
- Hours between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. are the deadliest when it comes to bicycle accidents.
Timeline for a Daytona Beach Bicycle Accident Claim
If a bicyclist is injured in a collision with a motor vehicle, the first step in seeking compensation usually is to file an insurance claim. While insurance claims can sometimes result in fair settlement offers for injured bicyclists, many injured cyclists need to move onto the next step of filing a bicycle accident lawsuit.
It is essential to know that injured cyclists only have a finite amount of time to file a lawsuit. Under Florida law (Fla. Stat. § 95.11), most bicycle accidents must be filed within four years from the date of the accident. If an injured cyclist fails to file a lawsuit within this time window, then his or her claim can become “time-barred.” Once a claim is time-barred, a plaintiff is no longer able to file a civil lawsuit in order to seek compensation.
Seek Advice from a Daytona Beach Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Nobody should have to suffer the consequences of another party’s negligent or reckless behavior. If a motorist or another party caused your bicycle accident injuries, you deserve to learn more about filing a claim to seek financial compensation for your losses. An experienced and aggressive Daytona Beach bicycle accident attorney can get started on your case today. Contact The Pendas Law Firm to speak with an advocate about your options.