Naples Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Florida has one of the largest populations of elderly and retired persons in the United States. Many of these people reside in nursing homes and similar long-term care facilities. While many nursing homes strive to provide first-class, compassionate care for their residents, we have all seen or witnessed cases where just the opposite occurs.
The sad reality is that many nursing home residents are subjected to abuse and neglect. Most of this abuse goes unreported. But if you suspect that someone you care about has been mistreated, it is important that you speak with a qualified Naples nursing home abuse lawyer who can help you get to the bottom of things. At the Pendas Law Firm, we represent nursing home residents and family members seeking justice.
Florida Nursing Home Residents Have Legal Rights
Living in a nursing home does not mean giving up your basic civil rights. To the contrary, Florida law guarantees certain basic protections for anyone living in a nursing home or long-term care facility. Among other rights that a nursing home and its staff must respect:
- A resident has the right to receive adequate and appropriate health care, including protective and support services.
- A resident has the right to refuse medication or medical treatment and to be informed of the consequences of such decisions.
- A resident has the right to private and uncensored communication with their family members, friends, and other visitors.
- A resident has the right to access legal counsel, representatives of the government, and other social service providers.
- A resident has the right to be free from any form of mental, physical, and psychological abuse.
- A resident has the right to manage their own money and financial affairs.
- A resident has the right to file grievances or complaints with the nursing home’s staff or a government agency.
Any violation of these rights constitute a form of nursing home abuse and neglect. This includes direct acts of physical and sexual abuse, denial of care, and stealing a resident’s money or property. If you detect any potential signs of such abuse with someone in a nursing home, it is imperative that you speak up and contact a Naples nursing home abuse lawyer right away.
Contact The Pendas Law Firm Today
Nursing homes are big business in Florida. This means that many facilities will do everything they can to save money, often at the expense of residents and staff. This can not only lead to neglect but also abuse, as some nursing homes will hire dangerously unqualified individuals to provide patient care. And when someone tries to speak out against such abuse, they may be silenced by nursing home managers eager to cover up any wrongdoing.
This is why you cannot depend on a nursing home to handle allegations of abuse or neglect internally. By working with a Naples nursing home abuse lawyer, you can ensure that there is someone fully on the resident’s side serving as their advocate. So if you need to speak with an attorney, contact the Pendas Law Firm today to schedule a consultation.