Jacksonville Consumer Protection Lawyer
As a consumer, you expect that companies are honest about the products they sell, the services they provide, how they use your personal data, and their intentions regarding financial matters. Unfortunately, many engage in deception, fraud, misrepresentations, and other misconduct in violation of the law.
At the Pendas Law Firm, our Jacksonville consumer protection lawyers are dedicated to fighting on behalf of consumers who are adversely affected by these acts. Please contact our firm to learn more about your rights and how we can help enforce them.
Overview of Consumer Protection Law
Consumer protection is an area of law that encompasses may US and Florida statutes, many of which are enforced by the relevant government agencies. These statutes are intended to prohibit business from engaging in misconduct against consumers, especially regarding topics that are highly complex from the perspective of an average individual’s understanding.
Our attorneys advocate on behalf of clients in a wide range of consumer protection areas, including:
- Consumer Transactions: Businesses may use unfair or deceptive business practices in marketing their goods or services, such as making misleading promises, providing a useless warranty, or other misconduct. Statutes governing consumer transactions cover product returns, refunds, gift cards, online shopping, and many more.
- Lemon Laws: Buying a car is a major purchase, but there can be many complicated issues involved with purchase terms and financing. Florida has enacted a lemon lawregarding new vehicles, but dealerships will often evade the statute to avoid providing a refund or replacement.
- Online Fraud: The internet provides a wealth of opportunities to compare, purchase, and review products, but there are infinite opportunities to scam consumers with these “hands-off” transactions. Users also provide personal information, credit cards, images, and other details that open them up to fraud and identity theft.
- Banking and Financial Protection Laws: Statutes regarding credit history, reporting, debt collection, and many other financial details protect both your assets and your personal information. You have rights related to how your personal data is shared by companies, and there are options for correcting errors. Plus, you are protected against unlawful debt collection practices by businesses and collection agencies.
Protect Your Rights as a Consumer
Though multiple US and Florida government agencies are tasked with enforcement of consumer protection laws, you may also have a private right of action against a company that violates these statutes. A lawyer can assist with filing a lawsuit in court, where you may be entitled to:
- Monetary damages, including the financial losses you sustained and interest, if applicable;
- Equitable relief, such as fixing errors to your credit report;
- The costs for filing a lawsuit;
- Attorneys’ fees; and,
- Other remedies depending on the details of your case.
A Jacksonville Consumer Protection Lawyer Can Answer Your Questions
While this information on consumer protection laws may be useful, you may have additional questions about how the statutes apply to your situation. For more information, please contact The Pendas Law Firm to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers. We can tell you more about your rights and legal options as a consumer.