Jacksonville Class Action Consumer Litigation Lawyer
US and Florida consumer protection laws are intended to safeguard individual consumers from fraudulent, illegal, and misleading conduct. However, sometimes a company’s acts are so egregious and pervasive that they affect a large group of consumers. In such a situation, a class action is often the most appropriate way to compensate those who suffered losses – and to deter others from such wrongful conduct.
If you believe your rights as a consumer were violated, please contact the Pendas Law Firm to discuss your circumstances. Our Jacksonville class action consumer litigation lawyers have extensive experience advocating on behalf of consumers, so we’re prepared to fight for you in court.
Types of Class Action Consumer Cases We Handle
Our team of experienced class action lawyers represents clients in a wide range of consumer protection cases, including:
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA): You have rights when it comes to the information companies report about your credit history, and FCRA is intended to protect you from harm in the event of errors. This statute – and related laws at the federal and state level – also guards against invasions of privacy regarding the data companies collect from you.
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA): This federal statute prohibits various methods that a creditor or collection agency might attempt to use when getting you to pay a debt. Florida has also enacted a similar version of FDCPA, which allows you to sue for monetary damages, costs, and attorneys’ fees.
- Unfair Business Practice/False Advertising Claims: State and federal law prohibit companies from making dishonest or misleading claims in their marketing materials, and when making representations about the privacy of personal information. In the area of consumer class action cases, unfair business practices are common in the purchase of goods, warranties, insurance claims and settlements, residential rental agreements, and other areas.
- Consumer Data Privacy: Floridians rely on technology for communications, surfing the internet, streaming music and video, security, and other aspects of everyday life. Each of these activities erodes away at privacy, at times without you even noticing. We represent clients in connection with violations of consumer data privacy laws, such as:
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) Act;
- Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing (CAN-SPAM) Act;
- Video Privacy Protection Act (VPPA);
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA);
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA);
- Telemarketing Sales Rules; and,
- Many more.
Overcoming Challenges in Class Action Litigation
There are very specific rules regarding eligibility and standing in class action cases. A potential defendant will seek to exploit any weaknesses in order to avoid liability, so our attorneys work to overcome the legal hurdles that could adversely affect your claim. Examples include situations where a defendant may allege that:
- You don’t have capacity to sue under Florida’s class action statute;
- You didn’t suffer any injury or harm for which you should be compensated;
- The venue of a class action is improper, which could result in the case being moved to a far-off, inconvenient location;
- There was a lack of intent to defraud or engage in misconduct; and,
- Many other potential defenses.
Contact Our Office to Speak with a Jacksonville Class Action Consumer Litigation Lawyer
For more information on consumer class action cases, please contact the Pendas Law Firm to schedule a consultation. We can explain how these cases work, and tell you more about your rights and remedies as a consumer.