Orlando Slip & Fall Lawyer
They may not seem like a serious form of trauma, but slip and falls kill thousands of people every year, and injure hundreds of thousands more. In fact, slips, trips, and falls are the second leading cause of accidental death, second to motor vehicle collisions, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). They cause 15 percent of all accidental fatalities, and millions of serious injuries such as bone fractures, torn ligaments, traumatic brain injuries, contusions, lacerations, spinal cord injuries, and serious sprains. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a poor walking surface, contact an experienced Orlando slip & fall lawyer today.
The Elderly Are at The Most Risk of Serious Injuries from Slip and Falls
Every year, millions of older people fall, which often results in injury. As depth perception and balance fade, irregularities in the floor, residue, water, and even confusing flooring patterns all lead to falls and serious injuries. And, those injuries cause serious health problems down the road. In fact, a fractured hip, which is a common injury resulting from a fall, can be a death sentence for an older person. The older the fall victim, the more likely the injury will be life-lasting or even fatal.
Factors That Can Cause Falls
The following conditions of disrepair and neglected cleaning can lead to falls, regardless of age or physical ability, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Walkway and floor spills;
- Ice, snow, and rain causing outdoor walkway hazards, as well as slipping hazards indoors when tracked inside. In Florida we don’t have to worry about the first two so much, but slippery walkways from rain cause countless falls and injuries;
- Lose mats and rugs can be slipped on due to poor traction or causing tripping from entanglement;
- Boxes, containers, and other merchandise can obscure vision;
- Poor lighting adds to poor visibility; and
- Walking surfaces in poor condition or filled with clutter cause tripping due to differences in floor height, surface irregularities, protruding nails, extension cords, and other debris.
Proving Business Owner Negligence for a Successful Litigati
With any premises liability the key to a successful lawsuit or settlement offer is proving that the business owner had either physical or constructive knowledge of the poor, unsafe conditions that lead to the accident. For a business owner to have physical knowledge of a slippery floor, they would have to see the damp spot for themselves or hear about it from an employee. Constructive knowledge is less direct, yet still legally pertinent. An example of constructive knowledge would be that the store owner knew that it had been raining outside, yet did not take precautions by placing a mat inside the front entrance to collect the wet footsteps of the customers.
Contact an Experienced Orlando Slip & Fall Lawyer
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident that was caused by the carelessness of a negligent business, contact The Pendas Law Firm today at 1-888-573-6327 to discuss your case with one of our experienced Orlando slip and fall lawyers. We are happy to help you in this time of need.